Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hairy Butterworts & other fun field photographs


 Here is a random assortment of photos from the last couple of weeks in Healy. I have been pretty busy with field work but every now and then I remember to get the camera out. Enjoy!


Marchantia polymorpha, a liverwort living under the porch of our cabin



This squirrel lives near our cabin and has gotten quite bold- he like to break into our compost bucket and steal food scraps. Sometimes he swears at me from the trees as I make my way to the outhouse. 



Chocolate cookies made to celebrate a long week of point framing.



 The neighbors expressing their political views while adding a little decoration to their dog-poop pile


 
 Going, Going, Gone! 
These photographs all depict the same 60 x 60cm square of tundra. For my research this summer I am setting up some experimental plots in which all of the aboveground plant material is removed. I will be using these plots to better understand the role plants play in soil decomposition and nitrogen cycling.


 Pinguicula villosa, aka the Hairy butterwort!
This is a carnivorous plant that lives in mossy patches of the tundra. Small insects get trapped inside the leaves and are slowly digested. The leaves in this photo look a bit like a gaping maw, no?



The Hairy butterwort is a very small plant: there are two growing in this patch of Dicranum moss but they are overshadowed by the large Rubus chamaemorus (cloudberry) leaves.



 Vicious

No comments:

Post a Comment